Saturday, May 12, 2012

"Never Give Up On Hope"

     Three of my grandparents are dying.

(Oh, I see I have your attention? Heheh. )
But in all seriousness, they are.  Two grandpas and a grandma, all are very dear to me. One lost forty pounds and the grandma had a nasty fall, she was in so much pain that she missed my musical.  And this was what I've known since Spring break. 

    It would be easy to worry, to fear, or be afraid of what will happen.  To be frank, life in general has been rough.  I've been overwhelmed, almost this whole year it seems. Back and forth, I've fought hard to keep my head above water.   I have so many things I have to do, so many goals and dreams I want to accomplish;  so many little distractions that grab me and become intimidating and huge when so close.  There's so much I don't know or understand.

    But, I'm not afraid. Tired, and a little weary now and then, but I am...content (Phill. 4:11-13).  I'm blessed beyond what I deserve; loved far greater than I ever imagined.  I don't know what to pray for, what to expect, what to think.  All I know, is this: we'll never be alone. Jesus is always with me,  and that is all I need to know.

Haha!  Such small problems compared to Christ!  What is there to worry about?  God does not want us to give up on our dreams, He simply wants us to give them up to Him.  They are far better in His hands.  Are you worried?  God cares much more about it than you do, have you given it to Him?  That is painfully hard sometimes, but it is worth it.  How do you give something up?  Let it go from your grasp and into God's control.  In one word: prayer.  We have a world to win my friends, and yet we concern ourselves with things that are so very beneath us. Rise above it. We can't be grateful to God for all He's given us when we despair about what we don't have.  It's so hard to see God's love and mercy when my eyes are on myself.

Time and time again, I disobey Him, but God just lovingly looks at me/us and says:

“Give me all of you!!! I don’t want so much of your time, so much of your talents and money, and so much of your work. I want YOU!!! ALL OF YOU!! I have not come to torment or frustrate the natural man or woman, but to KILL IT! No half measures will do. I don’t want to only prune a branch here and a branch there; rather I want the whole tree out! Hand it over to me, the whole outfit, all of your desires, all of your wants and wishes and dreams. Turn them ALL over to me, give yourself to me and I will make of you a new self---in my image. Give me yourself and in exchange I will give you Myself. My will, shall become your will. My heart, shall become your heart.”- C.S. Lewis Mere Christianity

You could easily find things to despair about.  There are plenty of songs, artists, philosophers, writers, movies, and books, all ready to give you ample reason, and they are more right than not.  We live in a horribly wrong world.  And I see what's wrong in it--human sin--but, I see something underneath the caked on layers of human filth.  Something real, higher, purer, truer, better: Jesus and His handiwork. That Jesus lives gives me hope and joy and life enough!

"I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free.
For His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me."

Do you need a reason to sing?  You will never be alone--Jesus will see to that! It will be hard, but that will be enough.

I am praying for you all. Now, I write all this so that you will be encouraged.  We all struggle, so I urge you: be strong! We are conquerors! Rejoice my brothers and sisters, we are loved!

(BTW, To everyone who knows me: you may always count on me to be your true friend--to pray, or talk with you, or help however I may. Just let me know.)


Let me leave you with a song:

"A Reason to Sing" 
-All the Sons and Daughters

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncwfhqm14y8&feature=endscreen&NR=1

When the pieces seem too shattered
To gather off the floor

And all that really matters
Is I can't feel you anymore
No, I can't feel you anymore

I need a reason to sing
I need a reason to sing
I need to know that you're still holding
the whole world in your hands
I need a reason to sing

When I'm overcome by fear
And I hate everything I know
If this waiting lasts forever
I'm afraid I might let go
I'm afraid I might let go

There be a victory
You sing it over me now

Your peace is the melody
You sing it over me now

That is a reason to sing


Edit: Ok, ok, I know I'm editing this again, buuuut  I have more songs! Dealz wid it yo.  My blog, my rules.  I'm putting 'em up. Cut ya some slack though, I won't list out all the lyrics, just links

I love these guys!

Alive - All Sons and Daughters

- Rend Collective Experiment


2 comments:

  1. It may seem irrelevant, but I thought of this passage when I read those last few paragraphs you wrote Nathan.

    Romans 8:5-8 (ESV):

    "5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. 6 For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. 7 For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God's law; indeed, it cannot. 8 Those who are in the flesh cannot please God."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love you so much brother. Thanks man, praying for you, I know you're going through tough times yourself. The End is where WE begin.

      Delete